Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Week of Highs and Lows

This past week has been pretty normal, with the obvious exception of a few things that are both happy and sad, high and low, etc. You get the idea.

Last Friday, we drove up to Ohio to spend the weekend with my family and my dad's extended family. We were having a memorial service for my Uncle Walt, who passed away in January. The drive up was fine and on Saturday, we were treated to a sunny but not so humid day. It was a lovely service - very simple, just some family and friends at the gravesite. My father, my uncle's only sibling, spoke. My mother read Bible passages, as did my brother. I sang. The little ones led us in The Lord's Prayer. It was followed by luncheon. The entire service was really just perfect - emotional, fitting, simple. A good way to say goodbye to my uncle, who wouldn't have wanted anything fancy at all. We are grateful for the time we had with Uncle Walt, who is probably now enjoying slots, good beer, good shows, and laughs in Heaven.

We followed the luncheon with a quick visit to my college friends Katy and Pete, who live nearby. They also have a James, who is a year older than our James, and a new baby girl, Maeve. We only had an hour to spend with them but we are glad we made the effort.

We then went for dinner at my grandma's. She is 89 years old and still lives alone! She's really great - showing signs of slowing down, but still, a gracious hostess. We had a cookout and the boys all played with tons of toys my grandma and my Uncle Chip had purchased.

Sunday we stopped by for coffee in the morning and then drove home, luckily, very safely and quickly.

A low for the weekend of highs: I didn't get my long run in. Sunday morning was cool and damp in Cleveland but I just didn't have it in me. When we got home, it was SO humid...oh, and I forgot to mention...

I HAD TO WEAR MY GLASSES FOR A WEEK.

I'd been having some redness/irritation, so, I went to my new eye doctor -- she recommended taking a week off and then putting on a brand new pair. This was hard for me. Mainly for my running. I did do some easy runs with my glasses and surprisingly, they didn't fog up or slide off my nose. And, actually, just putting them on made it easier to get up and run during the mornings. So I might continue to do this (today it's been a week, so my glasses are off!).

So that was sort of a low, but I guess not really -- always try to see the silver lining, right?

A high for the week: I raised enough money for Fisher House so I am officially registered for the Marine Corps Marathon. I cannot believe so many people contributed so quickly and generously to my goal - I thank them all so much!!

A high and a low: Nate has been basically self-weaning. I mean, I think if I offered it he would take it, but, if I don't, he doesn't ask. At bedtime he no longer nurses (his choice) and goes down without a fuss. I am so grateful for the fact that this seems to be less stressful than weaning James. I am sad because he is rejecting me and I wasn't necessarily ready. So this is a high and a low. My goal now is to slowly wean him after our vacation in early September, so I can be detached (ha ha) for the marathon and my girls weekend in Chicago.

A final high: I got in my long run today - a few days late or a few days early, depending on how you look at it. In any case, I didn't split the difference between 11 and 13, I just went ahead and did 13 miles. I was lucky today: my mom (who quit her job) could watch the boys AND the weather was perfect: rainy, cloudy, and cool for August -- unheard of for D.C. So running from 9 to 11 a.m. wasn't too crazy of a notion today! I have to admit, I'm tired. I felt strong but it's going to be hard work to get to the finish line in October.

We head out this weekend for Ohio again, this time for a visit with Greg's family in conjunction with the football Hall of Fame. Greg's dad drives his Corvette in the parade. I'm a little grumpy about traveling another weekend (and missing a birthday party, a 20k and possibly dinner with the girls), but I know it's important to Greg.

On that note, my little one needs some attention. That's always a happy high for me!

No comments: