Friday, November 13, 2009

One Week Until Mama Leaves for 48 Hours

Yes, it's true! I'm taking a weekend off to be with two of my bestest friends in the world -- we've been planning the trip for over 8 months. First to find the weekend, then buy the tickets, then figure out the particulars of the work, school, homes, husbands, pets and children we'd be leaving behind.

But we did it and it's just one week away! It feels like a dream, truth be told.

In preparation, I have fully weaned sweet baby Nate. I guess at 15.5 months he's not really a baby, but, he will always be mine. I decided that it was time - we were down to once a day and I knew he could go without it. It was really just a matter of me making the final decision. So, last Saturday, on our trip to Williamsburg, I never brought it up as an option. Sunday morning he asked once and I just quickly distracted him. And since then he hasn't asked. I cried on Sunday. But he's doing fine and apparently it was just time.

So this was prep # 1 for Greg and the boys to be alone next weekend. Next will be the fully detailed outline of food, clothing, schedules, and suggestions for stuff for Greg to refer to while I'm away. I think the time will actually pass quickly for him and at the end he'll have a good idea of solo parenting. Granted, he won't be doing laundry, meal prepping, grocery shopping, cleaning, chauffeuring, attending meetings, or attempting to fit in exercise, singing, or the activities I overschedule for myself. But, he will be on his own for 48 hours. I am happy to admit that since Greg never travels I do have his help and company in the evenings.

I will hopefully post my schedule for Greg once I write it. Of course, I always think of things after lists are printed so there will be scribbles all over it!

I'm really excited about getting away for the weekend. But equally grateful that Greg is excited for me to have a break and to see my friends. He will be awesome on his own and the boys won't even notice my absence, I'm sure!

2 comments:

emma said...

where are you going??!! and have a WONDERFUL trip. Give Greg the #'s for some competent mommies & he'll do great as one ;-) (he'll do great regardless!) Am I allowed to be there with you in spirit (even though Jason & I did go away kidless last weekend!!)

Jenn said...

Hey Emma - I'm going to Chicago (one friend lives just south of there and the other is flying with me from here)...cannot WAIT. :) Greg should be okay plus he has my parents nearby should be need amusement. I think he'll be fine but you know I'll have meal plans, activity ideas, and a schedule for him, so he's got some stuff to help him out. I will take you along in spirit, although did you take me along to taste wines??? :) I hope so!!