How in the heck am I supposed to know when my kid is super sick or not? This is Nate's second cold of the fall - the first one he handled well and it faded. Then, exactly 1 week after his H1N1 booster, his nose turned from zero to fountain. That was a week ago. It got yucky and worse, with the phlemgy cough. (by the way, is that how you spell phlemgy? Who cares anyway). So I took him to the doctor yesterday and his chest and ears were clear. So no antibiotics. Gggrr. Now, of course I can fully appreciate wanting the doctor to be conservative with antibiotics - I totally agree with the theory that kids' bodies should mainly fight off illness by themselves. I'm no crunchy momma, but, I don't always run to the doctor at the drop of a hat.
That being said, today Nate woke up with crusty eyes which were red. Yuck. I am partially annoyed that he didn't get an antiobitic, because I KNOW that he would be feeling (and sleeping) better. Esp. the sleeping part. I mean, when he sleeps badly, we all sleep badly. On the other hand, I understood where she was coming from and I'm super happy that he doesn't apparently have pneumonia. By the way, why bother with the "p" at the beginning of pneumonia and phlemgy?
So today, I'm trying to figure out the best next step. I'm keeping him hydrated, wiped, fed, and relatively rested. No outside play, although the snow is awesome. I'm just worried because we are scheduled to head to Connecticut on Tuesday. I want him either better or on antibiotics by then. Because God knows I'll need to sleep and I'll need him to sleep, knowing his schedule will be nuts at my in-laws.
That all being said, I am grateful that my children are, overall, very healthy. We are lucky. James has been on antibiotics twice. Nate never. No ear infections. Nothing serious. We are extremely fortunate. So I do count myself blessed in that regards.
But man, oh, man. I do NOT want a sick toddler at Christmas. Because this is my Christmas to enjoy a few drinks without worrying about nursing or being pregnant. I mean, come on, how much more selfish can one get than that?
Just kidding.
Not really.
No, not really.
No comments:
Post a Comment