Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Nate is 3!

So I tried to update the blog via my phone the other day. Didn't work. Hence the exact same title of this post, via the computer. I noticed that in my "two months of busy" post, I neglected to mention that Nate had another hydrocele surgery (June 24) and that he turned 3. How could I have missed that crucial info? Overworked momma of three. But I don't want to neglect my middle child already. So here's a rundown of Nate.

Thank God he is 3. 2 was a tough year for Nate - although incredibly sweet and loving and active and awesome, he also endured three surgeries, a trip to the ER, a new baby brother, a speech delay/therapy, and a diagnosis of a heart issue. For the past two years I've been telling James that Nate just has to get to 3 and that everything with him will change: talking, potty use, maturity, ability to play games, etc.

Well, I'm glad that I'm a psychic - please come visit if you'd like me to tell the future. Although still with his fair share of challenging moments, I'm happy to report that Nate Z is having a stellar start to his 3rd year. He: speaks in sentences and adds new words and phrases DAILY (thanks in part to his awesome therapist and the tubes surgery), he has basically potty trained HIMSELF in under a week, he and James now play fun and crazy imaginative games and sports together, and Nate's behavior (read: NO MORE BITING) has really improved. He definitely could be gentler with his baby brother, but it is hopefully just a phase.

So, yes, poor Nate had another hydrocele surgery in June but it was smooth and easy and he did great. Unfortunately, during the surgery, the anestheseologist thought that we should take Nate to a pediatric cardiologist for a check of his murmur. Turns out it isn't so innocent. He has a trivial aortic stenosis. Long story short, he is to be discouraged from playing football because of the weight lifting. Apparently this problem is the most common genetic issue anyone can have, so it's pretty common. It doesn't affect his play at all and we think it's pretty minor. But as I've been saying for the past year, we now add a cardiologist to Nate's "team", along with a urologist, ENT, speech therapist, etc.

But besides the medical crap, I have to say that Nate is truly one of the most cheerful and loving kids I've EVER met. His smile is infectious. His eyes are mischievous and sparkly. The way he trots when he runs makes me laugh. He still uses a pacifier at bedtime (and occasionally at nap time but with the potty training comes the end of naps....it's a tradition around here, James did the same thing). Nate loves to color and draw. He is left handed (so far). He can't do puzzles well but he can carry a tune. He is so much like me as a kid it's scary. He is strong and big and powerful and yet can also be extremely gentle. He says "excuse me" a lot. He goes in time out several times a day for various infractions - I get so upset when he cries and says "sorry mommy". Because I know he really isn't a mean spirited kid. But he's three.

He loves lollipops, vanilla milk, mac & cheese. He adores his big brother. He sleeps on the bottom bunk.

He has resilience, spirit, spunk, and tenacity. I hope he is always who he is.

I love you Nate.

No comments: