Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An Overnight Log

This is a typical night's "sleep" for me. Thanks to Elizabeth H. for recommending it be a blog entry!

10 p.m. Attempt to fall asleep. Lie in bed thinking about money, children, stuff we need, college tuition, etc. etc.
10:30 p.m. Fall asleep lightly with husband snoring next to me. Note that I am wearing a nose thingy to keep myself from snoring. Almost strap one on husband.
11:30 p.m. Wake up and think it's really too early for a wake up. Feel like throat hurts.
1:30 a.m. Wake up and think I might have to pee. Wait.
2:30 a.m. Give up the fight and go to the bathroom, which is dark and covered with stuff for the new light fixture which husband couldn't hang up last night due to lack of "bolts".
2:35 a.m. Cat comes in howling until I sit up in bed and threaten her life. She scrambles out of the room but the damage is done and I'm fully awake.
3:00 a.m. Hear child cry out on monitor. Instantly awake, so never really went back to sleep from bathroom break. Throat hurts more.
3:15 a.m. Husband gets up to go to the bathroom downstairs. Returns to bed and cannot fall asleep, so turns on the radio to soothe himself to sleep. Get annoyed by crap on radio and lie there fuming.
4:00 a.m. Get up and read on living room couch, eat Oreos and drink milk. Throat still hurts.
4:45 a.m. Return to bed and practice yoga breathing. Fall asleep with cherry lozenge in mouth - think later that this is stupid idea.
6:06 a.m. Hear child turn on music in crib and begin playing. Ignore him.
6:39 a.m. Realize the cries of "Mommy mommy" are only going to get louder. Retrieve child.
6:41 a.m. Child begins saying "Eat Eat Eat" at the top of his lungs - the realization that he will no longer cuddle makes me sad. That and making waffles for breakfast at 6:45 a.m. Thinking that I will not sleep late for AT LEAST the next 4-5 years.

This is fairly typical these days. I've never been a good sleeper but oh, to have the freedom to just lie down and snooze whenever!

1 comment:

Pmcd said...

Blek! That sounds exhausting. A sore throat is a mean addition to poor preggie sleep. Entertaining account though!!