We arranged for my mom and dad to babysit James this past weekend so Greg and I could go away for our 5th anniversary and 'babymoon'. Up until two weeks ago, I'd had us booked at an Inn and Spa in Intercourse, PA (Amish Country). Then I had the revelation that I wanted to be near the water. So I canceled the first place and booked us at the Chesapeake Wood Duck Inn (www.woodduckinn.com) on Tilghman Island, MD. About 100 miles from our house, water views of the Bay.
I prepped the house, food, clothes, etc. for James and my parents. Long story short, he barely noticed we were gone. Grandma and Grandpa wore him out (or vice versa) and he behaved beautifully for them - slept and ate well, was agreeable, etc. Yea!!
Greg and I took off around 5 on Friday. Sat in miserable traffic on the beltway but then it got better closer to 50. We arrived on Tilghman Island around 8 and ate dinner at the Bridge Restaurant right over the drawbridge that connects Tilghman Island and the St. Michael's area of MD. Great meal - I had rockfish (which is local) stuffed with crab imperial and Greg had rockfish cooked "California" style. As always, Greg claimed that I made the better choice. We got to the Inn and went to our comfy room, named the Shirley G. The innkeepers, Jeff and Kim, are delightful. Friendly, but not too friendly, etc. Our room didn't have a TV, which was no big deal. The best part was that they had a TON of food and cooking related magazines. I was in heaven reading Saveur and Gourmets all weekend. Anyway, the breeze from the Bay was magnificent and we couldn't have had nicer weather for the night.
Saturday we enjoyed coffee and the Inn's banana bread French toast. Wow. After eating I wanted a nap. Our breakfast companions were a couple from Atlanta, so we talked about Georgia a lot, which was nice. Afterwards, we did some walking around to the little harbor near the Inn, then down the road a bit. Then I was worn out, so we did some driving around. Tilghman Island is only 3 square miles with one main road, so it was easy and fast getting around. We stopped by a little nautical bookstore where I bought a Philippa Gregory novel - not nautical but whatever. :) I also got James a fish counting book, very cute. The owners were very nice. On our way out, we saw Jeff and Kim walking their dog. Then we decided to get some sandwiches and sit outside and read magazines. So relaxing. Then we went to our room and napped and showered. Greg went for an exploration of the island while I showered and rested some more. Then we drove the 14 miles down to St. Michael's and explored it a bit. Such cute little shops - way expensive so we just explored. Oh, wait, we did buy James a little stuffed Curious George. :)
We then had our anniversary dinner at the Shore Restaurant and Lounge. It was amazing. I started with the Caesar salad which came with a garlic tart (wow) and Greg enjoyed a starter of the fresh hand cut pasta of the day - mushroom pasta with prosciutto. Then I enjoyed a trio of shrimp (big shrimp) that each were prepared differently - one deep fried with mashed blue potatoes and a tropical fruit salsa, one wrapped in prosciutto with gnoochi and spinach, and one poached with bbq sauce and a corn salsa. It was glorious. Greg had bouillabaise. It was delicious - I told him he made the right choice this time. It came with salmon, rockfish, clams, oysters, shrimp, and even more seafood. Then we split the chocolate molten cake for dessert. We also enjoyed a 1/2 bottle of champagne to start, and then Greg enjoyed a 1/2 bottle of red wine with his meal. I drove back to Tilghman Island. Since it was past 9 and there wasn't much to do and no TV to watch, I read my new book and we both went to sleep really early.
Which was a good thing since I don't sleep past 6:30 a.m. anymore. I also have had allergies so I'm all stuffy at night. Still, I slept pretty well. I guess I just sleep best at home!
Breakfast was extremely good again - we had their special Tilghman Island egg puff: scrambled eggs in puff pastry. With chocolate cappucino muffins, fruit salad, and asparagus too. We decided to pack up and head out after breakfast. We went back to St. Michael's (which we had to drive through anyway) and checked out more shops to get something for my parents as a thank you. None of us are antiques people, so we ended up getting my folks t-shirts.
Our drive home was easy, just two hours - no traffic this time! Got home to see James and give him a cuddle before his nap. Sort of nice for him to nap so soon after we arrived so we could see my mom off (Dad was at work) and get organized and have lunch before James woke up.
So that's it. I'll try to post photos but honestly I think I look huge in all of them. It's because Greg is so skinny. :) So maybe I'll just post photos of Greg!
1 comment:
Excellent review! I feel like I just went on a vicarious vacation at 1am. Except for now I'm hungry for the Shrimp Trio and chocolate cake! Glad you guys had such a good time and nice that James did so well with G-ma and G-pa.
Post a Comment