Greg's Uncle Michael came to visit this weekend. Greg and his uncle enjoyed hanging out in the evenings when the rest of us went to bed. We all went downtown together during the day yesterday to visit a few sites. It was an incredibly stupid decision. Of course it was Columbus Day Saturday - did we BOTHER to think about this? Of course the world's financial heads were in town, blocking MULTIPLE streets with police and town cars - did we think about this? No, and no.
We didn't head downtown until close to noon because of a lazy morning. Okay, so James won't get a nap or it will be late. We found parking relatively (key word) speaking at 4th and Jefferson, so we were right on the Mall. We walked to the National Archives (Greg's idea, not mine!). The line to get in was outside - okay, so it'll take a few minutes. Jockeying for position were multiple school groups made up mostly of middle schoolers, families, etc. Well, we got inside and it was INSANE. One saving grace: we were waiting with the double stroller and the security guard let us go in the handicapped entrance. That was great. However, the line to see the documents was INSANE. (I already used that word, but sue me, okay?). At that point, I just didn't care. It had been AN HOUR of waiting. Nate was restless, I was sweaty, James was lying on the floor...it was basically crazy. I got to peek at the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and a few other documents before we took off. I was in a terrible mood and made it quite clear how annoyed I was at Greg. I do feel badly about this as he kept apologizing. In hindsight we could have done more research or gotten downtown earlier or actually, done something completely different. Anyway....
After the National Archives, I had to nurse Nate. Which I did, in the National Gallery's Sculpture Gardens (check that location off my last, natch). We got some great photos which I'd happily post but BLOGGER HATES ME. They are posted on my Facebook account so check that out if you can. :) From there, Greg suggested we go see the White House. This is when the scowl on my face must have gotten....scowlier. We were at 8th and Constitution. The White House is at 16th and Pennsylvania. I was wearing Nate in the Bjorn. James was alternately running and riding in the stroller. Thank God Uncle Michael is so laid back - he pushed that double stroller around D.C. like a champ. He kept saying he thought people must have looked at him like he was nuts for pushing an empty stroller around (when James was running or being carried by Greg). Well, it was at least someplace to put snacks and the diaper bag.
We finally get to the White House to...look at it. Now, I realize that Uncle Michael had never really seen the White House in person but for some reason I couldn't get the bitchy chip off my shoulder. My whole body was scowling at this point. Granted, I was really tired and hot and sweaty, but did I have to be a bitch? I feel badly now (I did apologize to Uncle Michael who is cool enough to brush it off and say I was fine - nice guy but a BOLD-FACED LIAR). Anyway, we took some photos and we walked back - 12 long blocks from basically the Washington Monument to the Capitol. Sigh. It took me a while to warm up to Greg again. This sort of bitchy attitude seems to take over me when I feel like we are out of sorts. Do I WANT to breastfeed in the Sculpture Gardens of the world? Not really. Do I WANT James to clean the floor of the National Archives with his butt? Not really. I realize though that I am pretty rigid about things and do not go with the flow very well. I realize with children that I need to be better about that, but I also realize I always put their best interests first, thinking about their need for food, sleep, etc. Anyway, it's something to think about and to try to figure out how to balance my rigidity and tendency to freak out about things with Greg's more laid back, chill attitude.
Anyway. We got to the car and headed home. Because I wasn't entirely sure if you could or could not turn left onto Constitution from 14th (you can't), we missed the cut off on the little road by the Monument and headed north on 14th. No biggie, I figured we'd cut over north of the White Houes (since you can't drive past it) and head south on 19th, hit Constitution and be on our way. HA. HA. HA. We got to 19th and oops, it's closed. That's funny. We then headed south on 21st through the GW campus. Noticing after a few blocks that there were sirens behind us, we cut right down G street. James had luckily fallen asleep at this point...right when Nate started to wake up. And scream. Anyway, then Uncle Michael notices about 50 cops on bikes behind us, along with multiple police cars. I thought we were surely done for. I mean, what law had we broken? After FINALLY getting to 23rd we got south and got on 66. We then realized that we had passed right by the IMF - oh, DUH. The heads of the world's financial institutions or heads of all the world's countries or something were all meeting to fix the world's economic crisis that we're all mired in (to be noted for historical purposes). Sheesh. The cops weren't after us but it sure felt like it. Leaving the city was refreshing. Although we stopped at a gas station in Arlington so I could nurse Nate. Who really didn't enjoy being in his car seat for the next 18 miles.
Thankfully all's well that ends well and Greg decreed that I shouldn't cook dinner. Wow, honey, thanks. Okay, he was kidding - he then offered to pick up whatever I wanted. After walking all those miles I just wanted bar food. And a glass of wine. So the boys went and got food. I was in a much, much better mood after that, plus they picked up a gallon of peanut butter ice cream with
peanut butter cups in it. YUM.
On a mom note, James is getting over a little cold - and of course Nate now has it. So the last two nights I've been up a lot trying to keep Nate's nose clear. Argh. The third time now in his short life that he's been congested. James has his flu shot on Tuesday and I'm going to call about one for me ASAP - I don't want to think about us getting sick. And with James now in preschool, it's much more of a possibility then it used to be.
Today, Sunday, has been a quiet day. Both the little boys are sleeping and Greg is with Uncle Michael dropping him off at the airport. I took a quick run and am now just enjoying some peace. Another busy week lies ahead of us although James doesn't have school tomorrow for the Columbus Day holiday. Which should have tipped us off that we should NEVER have gone downtown on Saturday.
In the future, I will attempt to be more positive in my posts. I really am a positive person. But I think being tired doesn't help. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment