Sunday, October 5, 2008

October is here...bring on the pumpkins!

We ended last week with a trip to Burke Nursery with one of my mom groups. It was excellent - not only was the price right (1/2 off!), the weather was gorgeous and James had a great time. He decided not to nap on Friday afternoon so on the way to and from Burke I let him watch a movie in the car, figuring that a nap that late in the would/could be trouble. So he was a little subdued but perked up when we arrived and found all the fun, including tunnels to climb through, a huge pile of dirt to climb on and dig in (for prizes! All obviously from Oriental Trading Company!), a "play" tractor, a "cabin" with a slide, hay bales, a "train" to climb all over, more slides, small carousels, a "pirate ship" with again, a slide, etc. There were also those really slick slides that you ride with a mat. Nate got a little fussy in the Bjorn so after a while I was able to nurse/get him to sleep. Then James wanted to go down the slide. I was a little apprehensive about him going alone, so I went with with. Nate remained asleep the ENTIRE TIME - TWICE down the slide. Goes to figure that when we get to the car and I nurse him and he smiles sleepily at me....he begins to SCREAM BLOODY MURDER as we drive home. He wasn't even interested in the second late matinee viewing of "Monsters, Inc.". Harumph. Anyway, some photos of that adventure will be posted next.

Yesterday, Saturday, we spent a lot of time doing house chores, which was good. I also went for a nice jog (it was gorgeous outside). James chose again not to nap (!!) but of course fell asleep on our way to my friend Ted's birthday party. Sigh. We let him cat nap for 10 minutes and then once we arrived he perked up. My friend Ted, who I sang with in an a cappella group here in DC years ago, now is in a bed - he's a great musician and has a wonderful voice. He is also a super nice guy and Greg and I have remained friends with him and his wife - they now have two kids as well. Anyway, his birthday party was an excuse for the band to play (all the members are family guys) so it was fun! Lots of tamborines for the kids, a craft table, pizza, snacks, drinks, and yummy Costco cake! A really fun party. I didn't take any photos but suffice it to say we all had a fun time.

Today we headed up to Frederick to meet my brother, Jen and the boys for a visit to a pumpkin patch. We went to a GREAT, FREE farm that had hay bales for jumping, tractors for climbing, animals for petting, and a tractor ride for enjoying the really gorgeous hills of (I guess?) northwestern Maryland. The boys (except for Nate) decided to do the corn maze. They all came out with the help of my sister in law Jen -- apparently they were all over the maze (it was 5 or 7 acres, I can't remember) and even with cheating came up short. So they were all tired from that. But then it was pumpkin picking time! It was awesome: the place had an actual pumpkin field with pumpkins on the vines. We picked a nice one to take with us. On our way home we had to get gas and the place had an ice cream stand/portion. Everything was 1/2 off. Why oh why does this happen to me? I of course had to buy some ice cream which James wanted some of, and then the nap was delayed until 3:45...we got home 4! We let James sleep until 4:30 and then got him to bed a little after 7:30 - tomorrow is a school day, after all!

I will try to post some photos of the weekend quickly and then I'm off to bed. This is my first time today to sit and relax (because when we got home, I changed the kitty litter and we cleaned my car - like, CLEANED MY CAR, with the vacuum and everything) so I'm enjoying the quiet. We have a semi-busy week ahead of us (every morning is booked but only two afternoons, which I like) and then Greg's Uncle Michael is due to come visit next weekend. We think we'll go downtown on Saturday and take in some museums. We're crazy like that.

No comments: