Friday, October 3, 2008

What's for Dinner?

I'm asking all my regular readers (i.e. friends and family) to please help me plan some menus for October. I have next week ready (see below) but beyond that need some help. I do plan to do some crockpotting (check out the blog "A Year of Crockpotting", it's a link on my page) but otherwise need some new ideas...one thing I'm doing is trying a new recipe each week from the Rachael Ray cookbook. This week it was the Turkey Spanakopita Burgers. Very good but seemed to make Nate very gassy (sorry, TMI).

Next week's menus:
Monday: meatloaf, tator tots, green beans
Tuesday: pork stir fry with mushrooms and eggplant, rice
Wednesday: Rachael Ray's Bistro Burgers (from RR 365)
Thursday: roasted salmon, pasta, green vegetable
Friday: hors d'oeuvres night (aka frozen appetizers)

I also have to make a meal for delivery on Monday morning, so I've got to figure that out. I'm thinking I'm going to make Elizabeth's crunchy chicken casserole. It was delicious and very soothing. Probably paired with a bag salad and some sort of cookie dessert. I'm sure I can be talked into making cookies. :)

So comment with your menus or email me! I know there are at least 3 of you who read this regularly. :) Help me!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I made these two recipes last week:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pasta-e-Fagioli-II-2/Detail.aspx

VERY yummy and good for 2 meals (I cut the recipe in half). Served with bread from my breadmaker and salad.

This recipe was good for THREE meals (super yummy but probably bad for you):

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Ever-Chicken-Casserole/Detail.aspx

I serve this with grits (I love them, don't laugh) and again, salad!

Kelly and Steve said...

I'm with you - we eat the same things all the time. I'm all about easy meals - I generally have about a 2 hour window to get Grayson fed, bathed, read to, etc. before his bedtime. Right now I'm doing Weight Watchers and just did a grocery run so I could try out a bunch of new recipes I found in one of the WW books. So I'll let you know if I come up with any new, good recipes. But here are a few of our current standbys...

Vegetarian Pasta with Spinach Salad

Mona's 3 Cheese Tortellini (walmart - freezer section - cheap)
Ragu Robusto sauce and add mushrooms, olives, etc. and simmer until done.
Spinach salad..
bag spinach, chopped walnuts, fat free feta, 1 diced apple, light balsamic vinegarette
(we eat this at least 3 times a week as a side and if you want to make it a meal just get some chicken tenders from the deli, dice, and call it a meal)


Chicken Chili...
1 can Italian tomatoes (28 oz)
4 bonesless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1/2 chicken broth (or boullion)
1 large onion, diced
2 zuchini or squash, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can dark red kidney beansm drained
1 can light red kidney beans, drained
2 T chili powder
1 T cumin
2 t curry
1 t oregano
1/8 t allspice
1 T lemon juice
4 T parsley

Throw everything in the crock pot for a few hours or throw it in a pot of the stove and boil for a half hour or so. Serve over rice with a dollop of sour cream. (Very forgiving recipe if you don't have all those spices - just throw in whatever you have.) Very healthy!

Quick Bacon and Spinach Quiche...
1 pkg frozen spinach
1 deep dish pie shell
1 lg. can fat free evaporated milk
1 sm. can mushrooms, drained
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup diced onion
8 oz. shredded swiss cheese
1/2 pound cooked bacon, crumbled
2 t crushed red pepper

Cook spinach in microwave, drain well. Add it and everything else in a bowl and mix. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Even Steve eats this quiche (if I put enough bacon in it).

Kate said...

Ok, let's see what we are having this week:

Monday - Stuffed peppers with steamed veggies and bread
Tuesday - Caramelized onion, goat cheese and spinach pizza with salad
Wednesday (Sydney's 1 year birthday so all her fave foods) - Annie's mac and cheese, steamed broccoli and watermelon.
Thursday – Cabbage rolls (with some yet-to-be-determined veggies)
Friday - ? Jim is out of town, so probably something carry-out!

I always love to see other ideas for menus...I am bad about it – I do so well for a while and then get lazy about the planning (ending up spending too much money on take-out!). Must be better about it!