Saturday, May 9, 2009

Naps - The Frenemy

So I wish that I could have a nap everyday. Sadly, this is basically impossible. Therefore, I wish that my children could have naps everyday. And then, in turn, Mommy could have some downtime.

James is only napping now 1-3 times a week. Every day we have the same routine after lunch (I've pushed this to 2 p.m. so that he and Nate might coincide with being in their rooms at the same time). We get milk and books and set his room up with closed curtains, music, etc. Often, these days, naps are skipped in favor of quiet time. By quiet time I mean train table play, cars being thrown around, books being upended. James generally does a good job with coming up with imaginary playtime during his quiet time hour. He also poops. So at some point I have to go in and clean up the chamber pot. I'd rather that than a poopy toddler diaper though!

The past two days James has been a bear to deal with by 3/3:30. The last two days both Greg and I have had to be stern with James and basically MADE him take a nap. It might sound cruel but both days he's gone to sleep. I hate sending him to his room for nap but he NEEDS it. And I need the break.

Now if I can get this nap to coincide with Nate's afternoon nap, it's like the heavens have opened and wept. I feel a sense of calm wash over me as I sit on the couch and watch Dr. Phil and read email. I, of course, miss my children. But I need a lunch break. If it's at 2 or 3 or even 4 p.m., so be it.

Nate is on two naps a day, for the most part. He loves to sleep in the car (as do I, but not when I'm driving, please - only when I'm a passenger, for the love of God) and so therefore will still nap in his infant car seat (yes, yes, he's outgrown it, shoot me). Today, for example, he woke up at 5 a.m. Holy Cannoli. I was so tired. Luckily, he went down at 7:45 for a nap, and so did I - thankfully it's Saturday so Greg took James to swim class. So I slept for an hour and a half and only woke up when I was having dreams about screaming/crying babies. Oops. Nate was across the hall looking very upset with me.

In any case, Nate already took nap # 2 today on a walk to Giant with Greg and James (I was off torturing myself with an 11 mile run...ahem, excuse me, jog). He slept on the walk and through the store. Only woke up when Greg was putting beer into the fridge (natch).

So now James is napping. Nate probably needs another nap. And we have a birthday party at 5:30. Sigh. Thank GOD it's Saturday so I can show Greg what a day is like with the two. As I said to him when they were both fussing about something, "It's not as easy as it looks" (shout out to Steven H for that quote).

Anyway. I love naps and I hate them. I love that the boys need them but I hate how they can upend the day and make it IMPOSSIBLE to leave sometime. A good example: yesterday, Nate slept for almost 3 hours in the morning. We didn't leave the house until 1 p.m. to go to Target and the Farm. Which was fun, but empty (everyone ELSE was taking NAPS!). But by 3:30 the boys were DONE. So we came home and rested and missed another playdate opportunity.

So, my frenemy, the nap, watch out. I'm keeping you close and not letting you get the best of you. We're so on. Bring it.

No comments: