We are far too busy in this family with special dates....somehow we have managed to have two children born around our birthdays, our anniversary, and Mother's Day and Father's Day. So from April (me) through May (anniversary, Mother's Day, James) to June (Greg, Father's Day) and July (Nate) we are very busy with parties, gifts, plans, you name it. Plus throw in my in-laws birthdays plus family baby birthdays and a few holidays and we're just overwhelmed!
We've made it through our season pretty smoothly, plus with an additional baby shower hosted here in-between (along with a camping trip and a trip to CT). We're finishing up with Nate's 1st birthday and his party in a few weeks. In my usual fashion, I've written up an event outline, complete with decor, food, entertainment and goodie bag descriptions. What can I say, I sometimes really miss my old job!
I've updated Nate's baby book to the 11th month except for Easter. Somehow I managed to order 200 prints from Kodak Gallery but I forgot Easter. Sigh. So I will shove a page in there along with his one year portraits (which I have to schedule for his actual birthday because 1) I love Portrait Innovations and how you take the photos with you that VERY day and 2) I want his second front tooth to grow in a bit more so he looks more even on top because 3) I'm vain, I admit it although 4) He is strikingly cute even with his red neck top tooth) and then have a page for our guests to sign when they come for the party.
Speaking of the party, it's happening the day before my parents 40th wedding anniversary, so I'm also in the midst of putting announcements in the Washington Post and their hometown paper, The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH). And we have a dinner for them the day after the party. Yikes! Luckily August will be quiet, save for a quick trip to Ohio for a memorial service for my uncle.
In any case, things are coming together for Nate's party. I ordered him a personalized t-shirt his name and the number "1" on it. :) I am going to order a "year in review" dvd for him. I want to order a banner but we'll see. Plus I need to get the decor, order the balloons, shop/cook, etc. But I do love all that stuff and he deserves it.
It sucks to be at the end of the string of celebrations, so I want his to go off with a bang!
But please, God, I think another baby would benefit from being born between October and February. Thank you.
7 comments:
Did you decide to do a fall marathon? (PS -- I somehow managed to run the Portland half marathon in 1:23:16, which was a 5+ minute PR. I'm not getting older, I'm getting faster.)
Hey Josh - Totally meant to email you two months ago....erg, sorry!! That's AWESOME for your 1/2 marathon - WOW! Are you doing a full then? I think I am doing one, I had hoped to do the Marine Corps but it's sold out, so, I think I'm going to do the Richmond. It's mid-November. No intentions of going for a time, just hoping to finish. Great job on your 1/2 -- that's amazing!
Yep - we're party planning, too. We're going with Mickey Mouse. I, too, ordered Luke a birthday shirt with name and number :-) Goody bags are stuffed. Decorations have arrived. Biggest challenge is going to be decorating the damn cake. My Mom started a tradition of always baking us our own birthday cake and now I feel obligated to continue the tradition.
One question - the "year in review" video. I made Grayson's, but time and a switch to the Mac are constraints I'm not sure I can manage this year. Where do you get the video done? Can you choose your own music?
Hey Kelly - Yea, I love that our young'uns are so close in age! :) Mickey will be so cute - good luck with the cake decorating, you are brave!
I made the dvd at One True Media.com. I hope it's good. I paid for a special "background" (for $2.99) and the dvd itself (which could have been much longer than the 7 minutes mine is) was $24.99 (I found a coupon for 20% off - GRAD2009). It should be here by Monday. I did James's at Kodak Gallery but they don't offer the option anymore. I could have paid for music, but I chose to just use some free canned instrumental music, which is like what I did for James. Even Steven! Be sure to post the t-shirt photo so we can see how our boys look in their shirts!
I'm doing Chicago in October -- good way to combine a trip back with a race. I'm going to try to go sub-3:00 while I still (think I) can. I was on track to do it a few years ago, but then Penny came along and interrupted my training schedule.
If you're looking for a good late fall/early winter marathon, I've heard good things about the Philadelphia Marathon in late November. Tucson in December is also supposed to be a lot of fun, but there's the travel issue.
Let me know if you need a recommendation on a training schedule. A marathon might only be twice as long as a half, but its ten times harder because of the fuel management issue.
Hey Josh - What's your email address? Or, email me (ask Rach for my address). Would love a training schedule. My friend Elizabeth did the Philadelphia last year, said it was good. I'm also considering Richmond, which I've heard is good for beginners. We'll see. Still hoping for a Marine Corps bib, transfers are available now and so I'm searching on ebay and Craigslist.
joshuagurquhart@hotmail.com
I'd get yours from Rachel but she's 8 time zones away with intermittent email access. (We leave on Wednesday night to join her after being by ourselves since July 5 -- Penny is already promising that she'll start behaving better because Mommy won't put up with her antics.)
Post a Comment