Friday, January 1, 2010

Goodbye 2009, Hello 2010!

I'm feeling better so I thought I'd post a first post from '10. We enjoyed a fun New Year's Eve with friends at a kid-friendly celebration. "Midnight" was at 8 p.m. I pointed out that it was Icelandic new year so we all toasted to that. I forgot the cheers in Icelandic so just went back to drinking. No, not really. I had to drive the boys home so I really had a half glass of wine and a sip of champagne. Fine by me.

The reality of my life hit me square in the exhaustion level overnight: this is how the night went:

8:30 - arrive home, Nate's asleep. Transfer him to crib. James asks to sleep in our bed. We allow it and say it's a special night. Special for James. Not special for us.

10:00 - I go to bed.

10:45 - Nate starts crying. Puts himself back to sleep. I wish I had an aquarium to hit to play me soothing music but since I don't I was awake for another 1/2 hour trying to calm myself.

11:45 - Whatever Greg is watching/sleeping to in the living room (on the couch, he was watching football but then I think he switched to the director's cut of "Snow White" because when you live without cable you get desperate for things to watch late night, apparently. I am not that desperate because I don't remember being up past 10:30 since 2005) wakes me up. I realize the time and think "Perhaps it would be fun to go to the living room, switch off "Snow White", put on Dick Clark, and wake Greg up for a kiss". Instead I lay in bed and drifted back to sleep until...

12:00 midnight - MY ALARM STARTS BUZZING AND BEEPING! Yes, I'd allowed my children to play with my alarm clock radio while I got dressed to treat them to running around a gym for a few hours before the kid-friendly celebration. In that moment of insanity, apparently they had set my alarm. For midnight. Ironic? No. I think cruel. After THAT time of my heart thumping in my chest, I started hearing the fireworks outside. Sigh.

1:45 - Nate starts crying so I go in to comfort, soothe, and rock him back to sleep. At this point, I can only presume he's teething like some wild beast.

4:00 - Nate awakens AGAIN. I bring him into the big bed. There are now 4 of us in the big bed. I get Nate back to sleep and then Greg leaves. Too many bodies in the bed.

6:30 - Nate's up for good. So am I. And I tried to nap later but no go.

Don't get me wrong. I feel really horrible for Nate and the teeth. And I love him. But I just wish I could have some more sleep!

So welcome to my reality. :) It's fun, right??

No comments: