My Thursday playgroup has been meeting regularly since we all took a music class together in the summer of '07. It was a really nice group of women and kids and they were all within 6 months of each other, age-wise. Anyway, after the class ended we decided to keep playing on Thursday mornings. As with all playgroups, sometimes we make it every week, sometimes we can't. And as with the women I've met through the groups I've joined or classes I've taken, everyone understands.
So, we decided a few months ago to have a moms night out. It was really fun and very tasty. I even enjoyed some wine. :) Last Sunday we decided to have brunch at Melissa's house, potluck-style. In the end, Greg and James came with me because it had become a family brunch. Imagine my surprise when we arrive (1/2 hour late because I'd neglected to re-check the evite!!) and I found out it's a surprise baby shower for us!! I was completely shocked and incredibly surprised. I am so touched that I've met such wonderful women who really care about me and my family. Not only did I receive gifts for baby Elmo, but James received fun presents for his "busy box", something Khuong had suggested I put together for when I need to nurse Elmo or be with him. I've hidden the box and the contents from James so he won't see them until the summer. But I still can't get over the generosity of these gals.
I feel like in life we go through stages and meet friends at different times: childhood friends, high school friends, sorority, college, and music friends (in my case), work friends, etc. I even label some friends as my Atlanta friends from living there, obviously that's how I relate my memories to them.
Obviously, the past two years I've made my "mom friends"...women who are very similar to me in that we've had our first babies, plus, we all mainly live near each other. It's been fun for them to get to know me in this respect and vice versa. What's really great is that I really like and respect these women -- so in addition to being very touched by this shower, I'm really happy to them and their friendships in my life.
Thanks ladies!!
No comments:
Post a Comment