Monday, July 21, 2008

40 Weeks and Waiting....What To Do?

So this past Saturday I hit 40 weeks (according to the calendar, although my first ultrasound said today, Monday, so who REALLY knows but God, right?). I slept badly Friday night, thinking I'd go into labor. Nope. We met up with Greg at Target to buy gifts for James from the baby (cars from the movie "Cars" - have I mentioned how much we all like it?) and then got take out Chinese (spicy eggplant for me...). Maybe that's why I slept badly. Anyway....

Saturday was 4o weeks, and so we had made no plans for the weekend. We hung out in the morning until Greg mowed the lawn, then James and I watched some "Finding Nemo" (he likes the segment with the turtles), then played outside. Monty demonstrated his "kill" technique as he had another mole in his mouth in the neighbor's yard. Yuck. James and I played water table and around the swing set until Greg finished up. It was SO hot. Then we went for a ride in the van for fun, then had lunch. Then napped. After nap we got up the gumption to walk to the pool (about 1/2 mile - 3/4 mile from our house) and played there for a while. It was really hot out but by the time we got there and played a while James was actually cold (that's what he gets for being so skinny!), so we walked home again. Greg went out for burger stuff and we grilled out.

Again, that night, I expected to go into labor. Sigh. No. I guess I just figure it'll happen at night like it did with James. I keep on having little twinges, aches, tightening, etc. so I know I'm having pre-labor symptoms. My mom pointed out that I'm incredibly aware of ANYTHING right now, and I agree with her. Hopefully I'll figure it all out soon.

Sunday morning we decided that we needed to get out of the house for a "family adventure". I call our outings adventures so James doesn't realize how not a big deal these outings are. :) We decided to go to the National Air & Space Museum out in Chantilly, which is really close to our house. We'd never been. It was really cool - tons of airplanes to look at (not too many to climb in, that would be awesome), a whole space shuttle section, etc. We also went up to the observation deck to watch planes take off from Dulles - alas, it was a quiet day and we only saw two. After that excitement we decided to leave (okay, I was hot and tired and had done my walking for the day). We hit Babies R Us to get some new snack traps for James (I keep on losing them) - the store was nuts with pregnant couples registering, pregnant couples buying things, etc. Luckily James was excited about the stop because of the Elmo ride, so he and Greg did that for 50 cents while I bought the incredibly over-priced and hard to find snack traps (there were only 5 on the racks and 3 were pink so you can guess which ones we bought!).

We then headed to Milwaukee's Custard or whatever it's called for some ice cream. There is normally a toy train that goes around and is attached to the ceiling. It was broken! Wah! However, James DID eat about 1/2 my ice cream (wait a second, how come I had to share mine? Oh, right, I have to share ALL my food these days), which was good to see - he normally wants ice cream but then claims it's "too cold" so we don't buy him his own. Of course, yesterday is the day he chooses to ignore the cold and eat up.

So all in all our adventure was good, although costly for us these days ($12 to park, $8 for snack traps, $8 for ice cream). But when Greg and I think about our bar bills from Atlanta and Taco Mac beer lists, this seems like nothing. Of course, for $20 a month we could have satellite and have more cartoons and Food TV....but we like our little adventures.

On a side note re James, many things these days are "too tight", "too cold", "too bright", "too hot", etc. I don't know if I really believe him or if this is just his way of expressing himself. Also, he's become very dictatorish...."Mommy sit", "Daddy work bye bye", etc. Lots of little expressions. In the car, if we stop for ANYTHING, he yells "Mommy GO GO GO" from the back seat. I have to teach him traffic rules already.

We got home and finally got James to nap at 3 (super late, oops), and I headed out for my "push pedi", which felt great. I got home and James was waking up and Greg was on the phone with my dad. I guess their computer fritzed out and Greg was called in for technical support. He's decided that we should be called the "Nerd Herd". So we ended up going to my parents house for dinner and computer fixing. It was fun for James, who was reminded that "Nana and Tata" (as he now calls Gma and Gpa) have electronic trains (courtesy of my Uncle Chip) but he got to bed way too late.

This morning Greg's alarm went off extremely loudly so we were all up at 7 a.m. I'd hoped naptime would be easy, considering we went to a birthday party this morning for Owen (that included time in fire trucks, a playgroup, pizza AND cake - check out "Boy Meets World" for Melissa's party review), but here I am at 2 p.m. still hoping he's settled down so I can shower and relax. I keep on doing my hair in the hopes that today is the day. :)

Here's hoping that the waiting is almost over and we can meet our new son very soon!! We are extremely excited!!

No comments: