A friend and fellow blogger (but a REAL blogger, and a really good one at that!) asked fellow moms to talk about a "first" with our children. I couldn't think of anything at first, but then I did think of something: the first time I went out ALONE with James, my first born.
When James was born, I fell apart. Not just out of joy. Out of anxiety, feeling overwhelmed, hormones, who knows. So even though I slowly adjusted to motherhood with time and medication (thank you Zoloft), I was still VERY nervous to go ANYWHERE with my extremely fragile, made of glass baby. So for the first few weeks of James's life I only went to the pediatrician. That's it. I stayed at home inside my house for several weeks.
I decided that this wouldn't do. I am too much of a social person and needed to get out. The "old me" was still there, I just needed to remind myself of that. So I challenged myself to leave the house ALONE with the baby on his one month birthday. That's right, one month old.
And guess where I went? Giant. And all I was going to buy was diapers. Giant is less than a mile from my house. I had a fully stocked diaper bag. The stroller was ready to go. The baby was sleeping, for God's sake. And my heart was racing.
I get to Giant, unloaded James and his car seat. I decided that putting his infant car seat in the back of the cart was the best move. I got the diapers and got in line. Of course, that very afternoon, at that very time, Giant decided to have just one lane open and in front of me was a weekly shopper. Oh, gosh.
While waiting, my worst nightmare came true. James started crying. Then screaming. I was in line, checking out, sweating, hoping it would all just go faster and faster. Then, the helpful woman behind me, with her daughter, says, "You know, I used to put the car seat on the dryer, that would calm them down."
I was too sweaty to be a smartass but all I wanted to say was, "Do you SEE a dryer around here? At the grocery store??".
Needless to say, I sort of said, "Oh, ha ha", got to the car, drove home, got inside, and quickly nursed James back to sleep.
It wasn't pretty, but the band aid was off.
No comments:
Post a Comment