Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mom Immunity: Compromised

So my little ones have both been battling little colds for the past week. First James, then Nate. Nate is still struggling with congestion (there goes any good night time sleep) for a few nights but we're hoping he gets better soon. Lots of saline being used around here. I had a sore throat last night and today felt like it was just allergies. And then, BAM, around 4 p.m. I just felt awful - headache, runny nose, etc. So I've taken some Tylenol, which has helped. And I'm on an antibiotic for this finger infection I randomly got, so that will also help. But I'm BUMMED because we have our favorite playgroup tomorrow morning and I just don't think we should go...although as Khuong pointed out (when she brought us dinner, thank you!), you usually infect someone before you get any symptoms. Oops. I apologize to anyone I may have infected. Luckily, James is all better. So once Nate is better, I'll be happier, even if I feel like crap. He just can't eat well when his nose is stuffy. Wah. Poor baby.

So my mom immunity went kaput this time. I guess lack of sleep doesn't help!

Yesterday was James' first day of school. Only an hour and ten minutes. We got up late so getting there was stressful. Luckily, we were among the first ones there. I dropped him off and washed his hands and then Nate and I just left. James didn't even notice. I didn't cry so that was good. Nate and I went to Barnes & Noble for a Starbucks for me and a doughnut for James (okay, and one for me too, alright!) and then I got some birthday gift cards and a puzzle book and sticker book for James for his first day of school gift. Then we went to Michael's to get scrapbook supplies for Nate's baby book. By then our time was up so we got James. He did FANTASTICLY well. Yea!! Only asked for me once but otherwise was super. Of course, to make things crazy, Nate had blown out another diaper (and outfit!) so I had to strip him down and change him in the classroom, and then nurse him in the car. Oy. Luckily I had the doughnut and gifts for James to keep him busy!

We then met up with Laura and Brady and Cole at Frying Pan Park for animal and tractor viewing and playground time. Then home for lunch and a great nap from James. Nate's terrible sleep/nap continued so I had to hold him or he napped in the swing for a while. Oh, well. Last night I ran to Giant for saline for Nate's nose and then some groceries for the week.

Today we three went to the family doctor for my finger (random infection, very painful). Nate slept in the Bjorn and James watched Nemo on the dvd player and ate fruit snacks during my exam and subsequent, ahem, lancing. :) The nurse nicely faxed in the antibiotic for me to the Giant pharmacy so we could go straight to the park at Lake Anne. We met up with Khuong and Marley and Melissa and Owen. Mojo the dog was also there. The kids had a great time playing and while it sprinkled one time it was otherwise a very nice outing for the kids, who loved playing on their "own" playground (just us there). Nate had another blow out when we got there so again was stripped and changed - this time on mulch. Sigh.

Afterwards we hit Wendy's so I could have a soda (my throat was hurting more, I thought just allergies, ha) and James had fries and then an ENTIRE jr. bacon cheeseburger. Wow. My parents came over at 1 p.m. to watch James while Nate and I went to my 6 week follow up with my OB. All checked out okay. I also found out my doctor is pregnant with her second son so we talked about that. I really like Dr. Patel. Nate and I then went to get all my prescriptions at Giant and while we were waiting I got a latte and talked to dear Rachel for a while. Miss her, wish I could see her more often than every year or so. Luckily we are good enough friends that we only need to talk every few weeks/months and nothing is ever awkward.

Okay, since I am now not feeling well and Nate is up, I'm off to bathe him and hopefully get some rest.

No comments: