My sister in law, mom to a new baby girl, told me about an article she saw on CNN.com about a healthy infant dying of SIDS. I immediately began to panic. So I just read the article (I did a search at CNN.com for "infant death", gulp) and found the article.
And I feel like I'm a terrible parent.
I've been putting Nate down on his tummy for a few weeks now. At first for naps, and now for the first part of his night time sleep.
And he loves it. I love it because he is so settled and happy on his tummy.
But I know it's dangerous.
Granted, the statistics are not stacked against us, but still. But still. I'm nervous. Rates for SIDS are highest between 2 and 4 months of age, then drop dramatically at 6 months, then disappear entirely at 1 year. Nate will be 2 months old next week.
The thing is, when Nate awakes from sleeping in the middle of the night, I run into his room like it's on fire. And then bring him into our bed. So what's the better thing to do?
I'm sure a pediatrician would tell me to put him back on his back in his crib. BUT HE HATES THAT.
My hope is that Nate will be like his big brother and begin to roll and crawl at a very early age. Then I won't worry as much.
But I guess you always worry about your children, don't you? It never ends!
No comments:
Post a Comment