Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Nate and Target do not mix

Neither do Nate and Michael's. Surprisingly, Nate and Giant do okay. Until the end. In any case, I'm finding that my adorable 2 year old is just not content anymore to sit in the stroller or the cart at most stores. No matter how tightly he is strapped in, he gets out...it's amazing. He's like a mini Houdini. I should think about taking his act on the road.

Yesterday was just another example of the escape artist at work. We went to Target quickly to get a few things before James's swim lesson. I really felt that James needed goggles for class (now I see that this was unnecessary but whatever, now we have a few pairs). Nate got into the cart but after about 10 minutes took it upon himself to stand up, get himself out of the cart seat belt, and lunge toward me in a jump, basically pushing the cart behind him. Terrifying, right? Luckily I was right there so I caught him.

I decided that maybe Nate would stay near James and we could walk through the store, which was VERY crowded for 3 p.m. on a Tuesday. I was mistaken. We were near the school supplies. Nate took off at a run away from me, James on his heels. I think James was actually trying to stop him. But Nate kept on looking over his shoulder and grinning, apparently playing chase. Well, we don't play chase at Target. I caught up with him by the dvds, man-handled him while fiercely whispering under my breath and sweating my way through finding bug spray, vitamins, and who knows what else.

We checked out, I gave Nate the play sharks we bought for the pool, and he happily played in his car seat to the rec center.

Do they still make those harness things? I swear that James never did this. I realize that Nate is a different person and also he sees James running around so he wants to do it too. What Nate doesn't realize is that he doesn't listen like a 4 year old. James is actually really easy to take places now - he listens, holds hands, pays attention and NEVER drifts far away.

I felt like I got a lot of looks yesterday (and at Michael's the week before where Nate also ran away from me...but honestly, the fake flowers and crafty supplies make me want to run screaming in the opposite direction too) and part of me would have been fine if Nate had thrown a full on body temper tantrum in the store. At least he would have stayed in one place. However, that's just not him. He's a runner, a fun loving guy, and a game player. I don't deny him his chase and running around time. But in Target, it just can't happen - too many things (falling on the hard floor, stranger danger, etc.) could happen.

I'm hoping our next trip to Target will be better - maybe chocolate milks from Starbucks will help all of us get through it. Maybe if we go alone without James, Nate will understand to stay in the cart.

Or maybe, just maybe, this will cut down on the amount of money I spend at Target. It might be a win-win situation for all of us, at least for a few months.

No comments: